A New Davao Arises!

Bringing you what’s new in the city and upcoming to Davao!

Happy 4th Monthsarry!

octstat.jpg

Happy 4th monthsarry! We are thankful for your continuous support! Last month, there was an increase of unique page visitors and readers to more than a thousand. And we thank you for that! 

October was a busy month for Davao City. Davao City hosted a number of international and national conventions and exhibits from ICT summit to business and investment confabs – all in just a month. A proof that Davao City is indeed the Convention Capital in Mindanao.

Join us this month as we check the up and coming developments in Davao. By the way, we have just received words that Sutherland Davao will now start their operations in Davao. Proof to that is the arrival of the first wave of Davaoeno technical specialists who were trained in Luzon for more than a month.

It’s November, and we’ll expect alot of great news and developments for Davao City and Davao as whole!

Filed under: Uncategorized

5 Responses

  1. uplacfi says:

    PHILIPPINE CARRIER CEBU PACIFIC TO EXPAND OPS IN DAVAO CITY

    Thursday November 15, 2007, 11:12 am

    DAVAO CITY, Nov 14 Asia Pulse – Cebu Pacific (CEB), the country’s leading domestic airline, is set to expand its operations in Davao by making it the third hub after Manila and Cebu by May 8, 2008.

    The airline will base an A-319 aircraft and its necessary crew and support at the Davao International Airport (DIA) to service direct flights from Davao City to Singapore and Hong Kong. The airline will also offer direct domestic flight to Iloilo.

    Such move is expected to boost Davao Region’s economy, with the future influx of tourists and prospective investors from both neighbouring Asian countries.

    “This is part of our commitment to develop Davao as a gateway into the Philippines and make the Philippines, particularly Davao or Mindanao, a more attractive destination for tourism and trade,” Lance Gokongwei, CEB president and chief executive officer, said.

    The decision to make Davao as the airline’s third hub is in preparation for a more expansive inter-island connectivity, as they plan to acquire more aircraft within the next few years.

    He said their direct service from Cebu to Singapore and Hong Kong have been “very successful and there’s no reason we can’t do it in Davao.” “We recognize Davao as very attractive in terms of promoting trade and tourism. Davao offers the same potentials as Cebu,” Gokongwei said.

    Gokongwei said about 30 per cent of the 75 per cent traffic for direct international service to Hong Kong and Singapore comes from Davao.

    New jobs for Dabawenyos will also be generated, he said, adding that support crew is needed for the maintenance of the aircraft.

    “From our 40-man ground crew at present, we will increase it to about 60 as we need engineering support to the aircraft,” he said.

    Both services from Davao to Singapore and Iloilo will start on May 8 next year while service to Hong Kong on May 9. These new services will be introduced with a seat sale from November 13-20 this year.

    “We will continue to expand our operations to achieve our goal of flying more travelers. And, with our continuous aircraft acquisition and base expansion, we hope to boost the country’s tourism and trade agenda in the region,” Gokongwei stated.

    The airline also continues to pursue a 4th operational hub in Clark as soon as all the necessary government approvals to operate to Bangkok, Macau, Taipei, Hong Kong and Singapore are granted.

    (PNA)

    contributor: davaohive@yahoogroups.com

  2. uplacfi says:

    PAL mulls opening of Davao-HK flights
    By Joy Romares-Sevilla

    PHILIPPINE Airlines (PAL) senior assistant vice president for
    Mindanao Domingo Duerme said Wednesday that flag carrier is also
    looking at the possibility of opening direct international service to
    Hong Kong from Davao.

    This developed after Cebu Pacific announced Monday its decision to
    expand operations in Davao by making it the third hub after Manila
    and Cebu by May next year.

    Post comments here on President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo’s grant of
    pardon to former President Joseph Estrada.

    Post your comments on the explosion at the Glorietta 2 mall in Makati
    City.

    “As far as tourism is concerned, the more flights we have, the more
    we can draw tourists to visit Davao City,” Duerme said in Wednesday’s
    edition of the Club 888 press forum, adding the announcement of the
    Cebu Pacific is a very welcome development in the city.

    Duerme said that aside from the Davao-Hong Kong route, which PAL is
    closely considering for tourism development, two more destinations in
    China will be proposed by PAL.

    “Aside from the one more flight from Davao to Manila that PAL will
    open this December, two more destinations in China are still on the
    study stage,” Duerme said.

    Duerme, on the other hand, failed to mention as to when the service
    flights from Davao City to China will be made available.

    Meanwhile, Mary Ann Montemayor, chair of the Bimp-Eaga Tourism
    Council and one of the guests at the same forum, lauded the
    announcement of the Cebu Pacific to service direct flights from Davao
    City to Singapore, Hong Kong, and Iloilo.

    “Bimp-Eaga Tourism Council has been encouraging airlines to service
    air routes, this is a very laudable move,” she said.

    Montemayor recently returned from Kuching in Malaysia where the 3rd
    Bimp-Eaga Travel Exchange was held.

    “The Kuching airport is very nice, but Davao International Airport is
    not left behind,” she concluded

    contributor: davaohive@yahoogroups.com

  3. uplacfi says:

    Zest-O puts up two facilities for P500M

    FILIPINO BEVERAGE maker Zest-O Corp. has invested P500 million for
    two integrated plants in Pampanga and Davao, General Manager Jeffrey
    Yao said.

    In an interview, Mr. Yao said the plants would manufacture Zest-O’s
    various products ahead of its planned initial public offering.

    “We want to improve the company value. Hopefully, we would be able to
    maintain the growth of the company,” he said, adding that the company
    might schedule the planned market debut next year.

    Zest-O Marketing Manager Christian T. Lim said the plant in Pampanga
    is scheduled to open within the year while the Davao plant would be
    completed next year.

    “The Pampanga plant will serve most of the requirements in Central
    and North Luzon. We expect faster turnaround, quicker response time
    when it comes to orders,” he said.

    Established as a privately owned corporation by Alfred S. Yao, Zest-O
    is one of the biggest firms selling juice drink in doy packs,
    cornering as much as 90% of the local market.

    Aside from Zest-O juice drink, it markets Sunglo juice drinks and Big
    250 fruit drinks. It also acquired Plus Juice Drinks and has ventured
    into the instant noodles segment with Quick Chow, Quikie, Tekki
    Yakiudon and Asian Classic.

    The company also manufactures and sells carbonated drinks and fruit
    sodas under the Zest-O-Cola, Rootbeer, Twist, and Squiz brands and
    health drinks under the One brand.

    Mr. Lim said Zest-O has seen a 20% growth in sales during the 10-
    month period, on track with its 22% improvement by yearend as the
    company gained from election spending along with other consumer
    companies.

    New products will come out by the early part of next year, he said.

    “Next year will be a total company effort centered within our
    beverage line and outside beverages such as noodles,” he added.

    Zest-O is in talks with partners who plan to bring its products to
    Southeast Asia, Middle East and new markets such as Africa.

    “There is a huge market for comfort food such as the products you
    grew up with. That is where it all starts for us,” he added. — Ruby
    Anne M. Rubio

    contributor: davaohive@yahoogroups.com

  4. uplacfi says:

    Local Malaysian execs push for Samal Casino reopening

    LOCAL Malaysian officials agreed with their Philippine counterparts
    to touch base with Ekran Berhad for the possible reopening of the
    mothballed multi-billion-peso Samal Casino Resort.

    South Cotabato Gov. Daisy Avance Fuentes, chair of the recently
    concluded 2nd BIMP-Eaga Chief of Ministers, Governors and Heads of
    Local Government Forum here, said Malaysian officials from Sarawak
    will initiate talks for Ekran Berhad to resume its casino operations
    in the Island Garden City of Samal.

    Post comments here on President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo’s grant of
    pardon to former President Joseph Estrada.

    Post your comments on the explosion at the Glorietta 2 mall in Makati
    City.

    “There’s no time frame to reach the objective but we hope we can do
    it as soon as possible,” she said.

    The Malaysian delegation, headed by Minister of Industrial
    Development Datuk Ewon Ebin, vowed to constantly keep in touch on the
    development regarding efforts to urge Ekran Berhad to reopen its
    casino venture.

    Ebin vowed the “full assistance and cooperation” of Malaysia to
    accelerate development initiatives in the sub-regional economic
    grouping.

    Pushing for the continuation of the venture, Igacos Mayor Antonio
    Antalan said the possible reopening of the casino resort would be a
    welcome development as it would boost economic activities and
    generate employment for the constituents.

    With the closure of the Samal Casino Resort in 2000, the locality is
    reportedly losing P12 million in real estate taxes annually.

    The resort, developed at a cost of more than $250 million in the
    early 1990s, is valued at P2 billion before it was shut down due to
    continuing financial losses as a result of the Asian financial
    crisis.

    In 2001, it was reported that Ekran Berhad was selling the facility
    at half the price of its estimated value.

    Long-term lease was another option offered by Ekran Berhad to
    investors.

    Samal Casino Resort is located in Samal’s Kaputian district where
    Davao Gulf’s best beach resorts are located.

    The resort’s total land area is 250 hectares but only 18 hectares
    have been developed.

    The original plan by Malaysian investors was to develop an economic
    zone on the site, which used to be a coconut plantation.

    The resort started operating as a hotel and casino in late 1997 with
    300 rooms and a ballroom that could accommodate 3,000 people.

    About 300 locals lost their jobs when the Malaysians pulled out of
    Samal Island.

    The resort is about 30 minutes by boat from Sta. Ana wharf, Davao
    City, Mindanao’s premier economic hub.

    Ekran Berhad is a highly diversified Malaysian conglomerate listed on
    the Kuala Lumpur Stock Exchange.

    The company’s biggest project was Bakun Dam in Sarawak which it
    reportedly failed to complete, but was paid a hefty sum for its
    expenses by the Malaysian government.

    Samal Casino Resort was Ekran Berhad’s contribution to the East Asean
    Growth Area concept promoted by private business chambers in the
    region during the early ’90s.

    The growth area straddles the countries of Brunei Darrussalam,
    Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines.

    contributor: davaohive@yahoogroups.com

  5. jeanica anne arsenal says:

    sana po hindi ka mag bago… mahal na mahal po kita

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: